425 East 86th Street History

425 East 86th Street, originally constructed as an SRO, was completed in 1929. In 1981, It was incorporated as a co-op. The  architectural firm Sugarman & Berger originally designed building as a residential hotel.  The structure is brick with limestone detailing around the windows on the 15th and 16th floors and at the base of the building, and surrounding the iron front doors.

The building consists of classic apartments with hardwood floors, beamed ceilings and moldings. The A and C lines have wood-burning fireplaces. Prior to combinations, there were originally 96 units on 17 floors. Co-Op shareholders have since combine some of the units leaving approximately 72 units today.

This boutique Yorkville prewar building is located close to Carl Schultz Park and public transportation including the new Q Line on Second Avenue.